Week 22 Ballyneal

Post here anything to do with the PGA 18 tourney.
IanD

Week 22 Ballyneal

Post by IanD »

So.... anyone have any issues with this course?

I will confess to having a Course crash on the 8th hole.
I took my Tee shot, on the par 5 8th Hole, and found the rough, down the left side...just off the 1st cut and not ideal, but only just into the area.
No Post Shot data came up .. I assumed the ball may be still moving in the sandy area and then all of a sudden, I was at the Home Screen of Perfect Golf with a resume or End Round now displaying on the Tournament tabs.
So, i took the Resume and found myself on the Tee of the 8th again...!

This should mean I have a penalty.... however, my Tee shot now found a very similar area but was in the first cut but not rough. I played the hole, and birded it.... suffice to say I may have birded from the rough too, as it was a Par 5 and only around 230yds remained.

I'll take whatever the gods decide in terms of penalising my score, however, I am still unsure why it crashed the course and not the game?
Was it the area perhaps on the 8th hole, down the left... anyone find that area?

I also was concerned the course took an age to load.... stops at 50% for approx 20 seconds and then springs into life....!

Anyway, I'm honest enough to make the post...
MiMiC

Re: Week 22 Ballyneal

Post by MiMiC »

Well done for posting Ian.

Ballyneal is a course which causes all sorts of concerns with that load, and currently one of our lower spec'd members cannot load it completely, having the game throw him back to the start area when just trying to get the course loaded.

The long pause, as far as I know, is due to the number of objects - in this case the grasses used around the course, which are multi-layer combinations - which at that pause that almost all course loads see to a much lesser extent are being loaded into your available video memory. The reason it does this, and takes a while, is that the whole of the course is rendered at once, so that there are no load-times within the game. So, all in all Ballyneal has a whole lot of stuff going on which can slow a machine down and make the pre-load a worrying time.

Having used the course previously in PGLS events, I'm not aware of a frequent issue with crashing, but the odd random crash does seem to happen and can strike on any course at any time. We'll keep it under review for this event and see if we get other reports made.

Ian, could you let me know here or in a PM of your videocard memory size and also your machines RAM, just so I can do side-by-side comparisons.

Thanks,

Mike

MiMiC
IanD

Post by IanD »

Certainly Mike....

8GB RAM
2GB NVIDIA CARD
MiMiC

Post by MiMiC »

Thanks Ian,

Also 2GB Nvidia card here
16GB RAM

It would be good to know others experiences and their spec.
IanD

Post by IanD »

Mike..

I'm confused by the LeaderBoard..lol..
I know I hit -1 on RD 1.. scoring a 70... but it shows as 71.. ? The overall score is correct... as -1... it's simply an error somewhere..

MiMiC

Post by MiMiC »

Hi Ian,

Yes, there is an error on the scorecard, which we will get fixed. The score showing your first round is correct, with the one penalty stroke added. However, the penalty stroke is not showing on the round 1 scorecard in the red PS column, and your running total is therefore one stroke incorrect, as it should show 142.

We will get it looked at and hopefully all working correctly before the end of the event.
IanD

Post by IanD »

Thanks Mike... I'll have to accept the 1 stroke penalty obviously ! Fair enough.

I am wondering if there is more to look at within the scorecard than currently shown.
I know I hit some long drives... but in both RD1 and RD2, they show moderately low compared to my memory. I was sure I hit one 342yds.. and another 339yd at one point... the course certainly allows alot of roll out there. My shots were mostly fairway landing but that's the uncertainty I guess. I'll aim to take a screenie of my stats hopefully next few rounds.
IanD

Post by IanD »

Ho hum... failed to get a Stat image... but my suspicions are confirmed...and I doubt I'm the only one saying this, am I ?

My longest fairway drive on RD 3 was 316yds. Actually achieved it twice, with another 315yds... it shows on the scorecard here as 294yds.
It also shows a strange Longest Putt of over a 100feet. So I guess that relates to chipped shots..? However, i don't recall getting one like that, so there is something else I'd recommend investigating.
Naturally... I'm now concerned everything else in there (stat-wise) is relative....
MiMiC

Post by MiMiC »

I've looked at the stats and indeed they are very odd indeed.

The problem with PG is that it doesn't actually have a stats breakdown itself, and relies on use of available data to produce an output. To do this, we have to work out the particular equations which will give us the product. I can see in one or two instances we have got this wrong at present, so it will need another look at.

I would imagine that the putt distance is actually a sum of many putts (not particularly useful information if so, but possibly can be used to get to the correct figure if we can work out the dependencies and how to break a single put out of a continual sum). The drive distance is a concern, but possibly is using a figure measuring relative from tee towards green. For example, a teeshot hit 341 yards at an angle of 25 degrees to the straight path to green only has a tee to green distance of shorter than the total drive distance.

I will take a full look over all the data we do get and take another look at what we can correctly extract from it.
IanD

Post by IanD »

I understand the illustrations you describe... thanks Mike. I hope you discover where the issues are and can correct them easily..!

As for the cumulative putting distance, I think there may be (if indeed that is what it is) an instance where that information could be useful. Granted, it would require another Tournament, but something for those who enjoy the Hazard or future possible MOP additions may like. A course with only Par 3's, would indeed enjoy a stat such as this, to use in addition to lowest putt scores/distance.

Whatever you do, I am guessing the guys at PP may introduce another Stat actual package which could cause issues with the current download dump being used to extract the data. I hope they do share more on that front soon...!

Return to “PGA 18”