JPNG Crashing PC

Post here anything to do with technical issues with computers in general. Don't expect a response but I'm sure people would be happy to try.
migs
Steam Profile name (Required): Migs

JPNG Crashing PC

Post by migs »

Has anybody else had problems with JNPG crashing their PC?

It started about mid-December, where I would get periodic crashes on a mouse click within the game. The click can be anything from one of the 3-clicks to simply clicking on "Continue". There's no consistency to when it happens, apart from it only ever happens when playing JNPG. I get no game hang, no BSOD, nothing. Just an immediate shut down of the PC.

Win 10, i7 4790K CPU, 16GB RAM, GTX970 card, 800W power supply.

It feels like it's a power issue, but 800W should be enough, surely? It also never crashed like this before December. I often do really intense graphics work in Photoshop, and never have a problem. I can also run other games, both Steam/local, and none of those ever crash. Temperatures are all easily within the safe ranges for MB, CPU and GPU. I can run stress test after stress test on both CPU and GPU with no excessive temperatures being reached, and no crashes.

I reinstall Windows periodically, just to freshen things up, and did this last week. After reinstalling Steam/JNPG, the first crash happened just minutes into a practise on the range. I also routinely switch hard drives when re-installing the OS, so it isn't a disk error issue. I've tried Google and various forums, but it seems like it's just me.

If anybody has any clues, I'd appreciate it. I'm on the verge of just uninstalling JNPG and moving on.
migs

Re: JPNG Crashing PC

Post by migs »

Quick update on this.

I have both an ASUS motherboard and graphics card. With the MB, ASUS provide a utility app called AI3. If anybody has ever used it, you'll know how iffy it can be in terms of the resources it uses against the benefits it provides.

However, it is good at things like fan tuning, so I gave it a go at optimising the setup of the CPU/fans/everything else. Not only has the CPU temp dropped significantly, from 46 deg at idle to 42 deg, but I just managed to play a full round in JNPG for the first time in weeks. Looking at what AI3 has done, it has overclocked the CPU by 4% and re-tuned the fan speeds. Fan speeds, by the way, are also lower than previous levels, so it has proved beneficial all round.

I have no idea if the game not crashing now is coincidence, blind luck or anything else, but I'll take it anyway!
migs

Re: JPNG Crashing PC

Post by migs »

Hi Crusher

Thanks for the reply

I've never overclocked anything, and I had AI running when playing the game. CPU temperatures never got above 62 degrees, even running at 4K resolution, full screen. Of course the GTX970 would be taking a lot of the strain, but still.

If I ran the Prime95 torture tests, it would push to 85 degrees and stay there until I quit the test, always without crashing. I ran the tuning wizard in the BIOS more than once (it is available with recent BIOS versions), but it made no difference. It was only when I ran the app from within Windows that it seemed to solve the issue.

I think it was definitely a BIOS issue of some sort, I just have no idea what. It's odd that it only affected JNPG and nothing else.

Return to “Technical Support”