HOW TO : DISCORD - How to get started and join the PGLS channel

This forum contains "how to do" information. If you have any suggestions for content in here please let us know.
Mwh65
Site Admin
Steam Profile name (Required): Mwh65
Has Liked: 146 times
Been Liked: 404 times

HOW TO : DISCORD - How to get started and join the PGLS channel

Post by Mwh65 »

To get underway using Discord for text and voice chat during play or when in Meet & Greet:

1. We recommend that members use the Discord app rather than connect via their browser.

The link to download the app is ...

Windows
https://discordapp.com/api/download?platform=win

Mac
https://discordapp.com/api/download?platform=osx

Download, wait for updates to be applied, and then restart computer to ensure you are starting with a freshly updated app.

2. Once you have downloaded the app, you will need to choose a username and set up your preferences or if you have already done this part, just log in.

When you first log in you will see the following screen, minus the Perfect Golf Ladder System server shown on in the left column.

Your preferences will include choosing which input (microphone) and output (speakers/headphones) sources you will use.

This you do by going to the 'cog' icon beside your name at the bottom left side of screen and using the menu shown at that point to set your preferences. To set up your microphone and output, go to the settings under 'Voice and Video'.

3. Once you have set your preferences, you can then copy the address for the PGLS channel at [url]discord://discord.gg/8wzv9dD[/url], where you will find the main voice channel called Meet & Greet plus a number of separate Game Rooms.

If you already have Discord installed you can manually add the "PGLS" server using the + button down the left hand side in Discord, then select "Join a Server"

then enter the following into the "Instant Invite" ...

8wzv9dD

then finally click "Join".

When you have successfully added the server and enter it by clicking on it on the left panel area, you should see the following screen

You will automatically be in the text channel #general and can type in messages.

If you wish to talk to members on the discord server, then click on the Meet & Greet room under voice channels where you will find those who are also presently set for chat.
Mark Holliday (Mwh65)
(PGLS Owner)

PGLS is not affiliated in any way with the game creator Perfect Parallel.
To donate to PGLS click here
MiMiC

Re: DISCORD - How to get started and join the PGLS channel

Post by MiMiC »

Hi fellas,

I feel I should provide a little insight and advice regarding Discord, our current voice chat platform.

Whilst great for chatting either in a group setting or in a room with a golfing partner or opponent, everyone should be aware that Discord remains open and active in your taskbar notification area even if you close the Discord window, unless you have visited the preferences to make it not do so.

As a result of this, if you walk away and have not taken certain steps, everything said by you and others in your home environment is broadcast for the world to hear... or at least the membership of PGLS using the Discord server!

To avoid this risk to your privacy, you should, do one of the two following options:

Either visit your user settings and then the Windows Settings menu area, and deselect Minimize to Tray

Or make sure you switch off both microphone and output by clicking on the headphones icon which will 'Deafen' the program

I'd also like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that not everyone uses a set of headphones when using Discord, and so any chat is broadcast over speakers. Please bear in mind that there could be anyone listening to what is being said, and so please keep the more salty language to a minimum unless you are sure that you will not be offending others, rather than your fellow PGLS golfers. Always remember that many users computers are in a family room environment, and so there may be young ears present, or those who do not wish to hear the more 'agricultural' language.

A simple check with your other room users will tell you if you need to moderate your language, and for the most part you can hear if you are broadcasting on an 'open' channel by the talkback you would hear.

For those who have had comment from family about any foul language, we apologize, but we do strongly recommend that you invest in headphones so that we keep the chances of serious offence to a minimum.

As you were....

Mike

MiMiC
Slattery

Post by Slattery »

Any particular reason why you changed from Teamspeak to Discord?
MiMiC

Post by MiMiC »

The Teamspeak server we had use of, provided by Gatekeeper (Doug) from the LInks Zombies, was taken back to a basic server setting as his group had decided to use Discord instead.

A test of Discord for those with limited bandwidth has shown positive results when compared to both Teamspeak and also Steam's Voice Chat facility, and so we are now advocating a switch to Discord where we now have our own 'channel' set up.
kenneth-H
Steam Profile name (Required): kenneth-H

Post by kenneth-H »

Mike my Discord keeps disappearing, why???
MiMiC

Post by MiMiC »

Updates will mean the shortcut it places on your desktop is most likely being removed and not replaced. I'll set you up with a 'pinned' discord app on your taskbar as soon as I'm able.
spy88
Steam Profile name (Required): spy88

Re: HOW TO: DISCORD - How to get started and join the PGLS channel

Post by spy88 »

Mike,
I downloaded D back in 7/2018 but have never used. 4 of us play PG using skype. Looking for a alternative, we might go to D but right now, only 2 of us have it loaded...(me and kennethharry). This morning, I tried to add him as a friend but his #number doesn't work for me. And even tho I'm in PG, Steam and D, he doesn't see me in his list. We shared screens. I DO NOT have the PGLS logo on my signin page, he does. So I deleted my D, DL'ed D from this page only to be told "installation failed" due to a error while installing. Gave me the Open Setup Log but I've no clue what this is. So I ran a Program Compatibility and got a box saying 'Settings applied to DiscordSetup:-Windows compatibility mode: Windows 8'. I've Win10 so is this a issue? I've tried most everything else so...

Any ideas would be appreciated...and no hurry. This is just something I'd like to fix whether we ever get around to using it or not. TY!
Mwh65
Site Admin
Steam Profile name (Required): Mwh65
Has Liked: 146 times
Been Liked: 404 times

Post by Mwh65 »

To join the PGLS discord channel use "Instant Invite" and enter the following code …

8wzv9dD
Mark Holliday (Mwh65)
(PGLS Owner)

PGLS is not affiliated in any way with the game creator Perfect Parallel.
To donate to PGLS click here
spy88
Steam Profile name (Required): spy88

Post by spy88 »

Hi Mark. As stated above, I can not finish the DL of Discord as it tells me "Installation Failed". I get the .exe file but it won't open because of this.
Charles
Steam Profile name (Required): Charles

Post by Charles »

Hi Mike,
me too i have Discord, but i recently installed it from their site. I have not used it yet (as i am using voice chat in Steam at the moment). Should i un-install it and re-install it through the PGLS app? I have Windows 7-pro installed on my PC.
Greets,
Charles

Return to “HOW TO's”