How Are You Going?

Post in here anything to do with the PGLS Tours tourney.
Golferdee
Steam Profile name (Required): steamydennis
Has Liked: 264 times
Been Liked: 129 times

How Are You Going?

Post by Golferdee »

So how are you going so far on PGLS Tours?

For me :

Best Finish 19th
Worst Finish 57th
Favorite course so far Bonville Golf Club - actually got my best score ever in round 4 with a 63 - I was amazed!!

How about you?
JimBoags
Steam Profile name (Required): JimBoags

Re: How Are You Going?

Post by JimBoags »

For me:

Best finished: 13th

Worst Finish: Too afraid to go through them.

Favourite Course: Hard pick, Probably Zanzibar.
Generally I like the open NOT tree lined courses without rough right to the greens edge. I do like generous fairway surrounding the green with plenty of run off and slope strong greens and green surrounds, where a poor shot is forced away from the flag, generally the harder the better. Good examples are Cape Fear, Nautilus Bay, Aloe Ridge and Red Tree Club.
I have actually played Bonville a couple of times in RL. It's about six hours away by road from my home but have a life long friend who lives in Coffs Harbour. That makes it handy. and yes it is just magical. A short course that is sooo difficult.

Best achievement: I hit 100% fairways, 100% greens and 100% sand saves in week 2, round 3. First and only time for me. It must be noted I did have 33 puts.

Jim
charlie
Steam Profile name (Required): cer1949
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by charlie »

Those are good numbers. Sometimes we overlook how much easier it is to one-putt when we miss the green in regulation. The player who misses 18 greens in regulation may have a good chance at an 18-putt round if he chips and handles sand well. Good chips and bunker shots set up short putts.

By contrast, when you hit an iron shot from the fairway to the green, chances you are you will not be as close to the pin as when you chip or blast from just off the green. The probabilities of making the longer putt are lower, often dramatically lower, so a 2-putt is more likely; and, if the course has unusually large greens, you might hit the green in regulation but still be miles away from the cup, and a 3-putt comes into play.

So 33 putts when you hit all the greens probably reflects less on your putting ability, and more on not getting your approach shots from the fairway closer to the pins. And it looks like you successfully navigated the bunkers you visited. All in all, I'd say you did very well.
JimBoags
Steam Profile name (Required): JimBoags

Post by JimBoags »

Totally agree with you Charlie,

Stats are so important in sport and I'd say more so if golf. It exposes where the weaknesses are in your game.

I look at the stats of other players and compare them with myself and don't see that much difference (compared to scoring) but the stats allow me to recognise where my weaknesses are. For me the poor part of golf in RL is no different to here, I just don't hit it close enough to increase the chance of turning that 2 putt into a 1 putt. Then to make that worse, I don't putt well either.

So, that round I hit all fairways and greens, (think I had -4) there was no difference in score to a round where I could have hit 5 fairways and 6 greens for eg and still had -4. And, as you stated in your post a missed green will generally deliver a shorter putt that a green hit in reg.

Jim
Golferdee
Steam Profile name (Required): steamydennis
Has Liked: 264 times
Been Liked: 129 times

Post by Golferdee »

JimBoags wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:10 am Totally agree with you Charlie,

Stats are so important in sport and I'd say more so if golf. It exposes where the weaknesses are in your game.

I just don't hit it close enough to increase the chance of turning that 2 putt into a 1 putt. Then to make that worse, I don't putt well either.

And, as you stated in your post a missed green will generally deliver a shorter putt that a green hit in reg.

Jim
Certainly agree with that call and without doubt putting is the weak link in my game. And if I could convert my multitude of GIMME'S into IN THE HOLE I would be much better off
Affo
Steam Profile name (Required): Affo
Has Liked: 61 times
Been Liked: 68 times

Post by Affo »

Golferdee wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:58 pm

How about you?
Can't complain, going to plan so far! :blush:
The scores may be unrealistic, or even a joke but heyho, that's what we got.

Play well and enjoy your game everyone! :drinks:

btw, not a game for snowflakes.

https://www.twitch.tv/affo01

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQQ0c ... dgs0U6nODQ
Seasider47
Steam Profile name (Required): skeggy47
Has Liked: 61 times
Been Liked: 127 times

Post by Seasider47 »

I'm really pleased with it all. been very tuff at times but Amateur thats the group I'm in is very competitive, we all slip up and scores at the end of the day are very close, think I can old me head up.. So far I've not missed a tourny and was suprised and pleased to discover I have 2 golds, 1 silver and 2 broze in my cabinet. I look back to the decision for all players to play at there alotted level its made all the difference.
terbal
Steam Profile name (Required): terbal

Post by terbal »

its as predicted at the start.

Return to “PGLS Tours”