Points for Stableford

Post here anything to do with the Stableford 9 tourney.
Affo
Steam Profile name (Required): Affo
Has Liked: 61 times
Been Liked: 68 times

Re: Points for Stableford

Post by Affo »

Great to hear handicaps of some form being in the pipeline, and I like the idea you have come up with Mike, will wait with interest on that one.

Paul's point of view is quite valid...so how about something more along these lines:

Doubly Bogey - 0
Bogey - 1
Par - 3
Birdie - 6
Eagle - 10

Par round gets 54 pts
-4 round with 6 birdies, 2 bogies and 10 pars gets 68pts
+2 round with 4 birdies, 6 bogeys and 8 pars gets 54 pts, same as a Par round, but gets the added "bonus" for going for/getting birdies.

What do you think about that adjustment? Fairer?
The scores may be unrealistic, or even a joke but heyho, that's what we got.

Play well and enjoy your game everyone! :drinks:

btw, not a game for snowflakes.

https://www.twitch.tv/affo01

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQQ0c ... dgs0U6nODQ
OnyxCarp
Steam Profile name (Required): OnyxCarp
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by OnyxCarp »

Increasingly enthousiastic with the whole idea and subsequent reactions.

"...why would I enjoyed a game where I would not score on many holes, what incentive would there be, I would consistently be pushing for bigger hits which would not be in my interest..."

"...In this week's PGA 9 holer, I was going for an all out win and found myself +3 after 5 holes, thank goodness I birdied the last 4. Anyone who shot 7 pars and 2 birdies would have beaten my score or indeed 1 eagle, 1 birdie, 4 pars and a couple of bogies would have done so too (using above method)..."

This! (Calculated) risk/reward and a suitable scoretable is why Stableford can be so exitingly different. A birdie should relatively be more 'rewarding' (+3 Compared To Par in Andy's latest scoretable) than the 'disappointment' of a missed shot (-2 CTP) - otherwise it's (indeed) just another scoring interpretation of the stroke method. Cannot agree more.

Including handicaps would make all MOP's better - can only hope that one day you admins can pull it off. In the mean time I really don't think that a revised scoretable would demotivate 'average' golf players for the reason that it would only benefit better players. Sure, the scoring potential is higher with a constantly playing good player, but why should one have more chance against a pro under the current scoretable? Score a couple of fluke eagles and you'll be dancing!
MSI X299-A Pro board - RTX 2070 Super 8GB - Intel i9-10900X CPU - 64 GB RAM - 1 TB x2 SSD/HDD - Win10
Seasider47
Steam Profile name (Required): skeggy47
Been Liked: 127 times

Post by Seasider47 »

Out of the suggestions been made so far I'm more drawn to Affo's Bogey 1 Par 3 Bird 6 Eagle !0. This would give all parties satisfaction.
IanD

Post by IanD »

Yes, good to read the responses... and I dare say Affo's scoring suggestion isn't unacceptable. It isn't personally something I like, but I could play that way with the scoring...

The challenge is perhaps something of a distraction, between what we determine from a Stableford system. How we perceive that, is what I think PGLS needs to offer. This site needs to determine what it wants, and what it can do with the Stableford design.

Mike mentioned something regarding handicaps, which is where I personally believe the Stableford system lies. Yes, it is a scoring system based upon how many strokes are taken on each hole. However, we could easily create another Tournament identical, and simply change the Point scoring to something I suggested too... would we call that Stableford as well? This is where I wonder whether Mike can create something for PGLS that stands above our suggestions of scores.

All of our scoring systems suggested could be used in a Tournament, that could be named weekly under the 'IanD Scoring Challenge' or the 'Seasider Special'. However, it isn't necessarily Stableford for me, without applying some form of handicap.

The handicap would need to belong to our involvement in another Tournament, ie the PGA 18 or Open, or you incur the full handicap for those simply diving straight in. Whilst encouraging players to play other Tournaments here, within PGLS, it could still offer a challenge if the numbers work.
Affo
Steam Profile name (Required): Affo
Been Liked: 68 times

Post by Affo »

Totally agree Ian, Stableford is for Handicaps and as Mike mentined above, maybe something in the pipeline. Any other points system, should like you say, have it's own name which would avoid confusion with what people perceive Stableford to be.

Sure Mike and Mark will come up with something, they have that knack!

Good discussion though, nice to get others ideas and suggestions.
The scores may be unrealistic, or even a joke but heyho, that's what we got.

Play well and enjoy your game everyone! :drinks:

btw, not a game for snowflakes.

https://www.twitch.tv/affo01

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQQ0c ... dgs0U6nODQ

Return to “Stableford 9”