Div Pairs game settings

Post here anything to do with the The Divisions (PairUp) tourney.
trevjor
Steam Profile name (Required): Trevjor
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 11 times

Div Pairs game settings

Post by trevjor »

I am just so fed up with the way the in game settings are set.
Here we have a course Royal Juxford with the setting.. hard..hard..13 stimp. Now I have no problem with this BUT! Then the flags are placed in stupid areas and yes I mean stupid places. Front of green just over a bunker..steep sidehill illegal flag this would never happen on any tour in the world. The div pairs are getting less and less supported by the players and I don't blame then at all. This used to be a well supported tourney and I don't think a lot of it can all be because of real life situations
(which of course is much more important). Now hard hard 13 would be possible on a links course with the 13 stimp still a bit a bit iffy if windy. But to set this on a tree lined course is just plain daft. There are tourneys for members who like to play "hard core ' Hazard just one of them. If the setter is just going to the game set up and selecting hard hard 13 difficult pins just so it's 'easy' to do without playing or testing the outcome of the flags then I would suggest the person talk to Mark and ask to pass it on to someone with more time or patience which may become more interesting so more can play !!
I will not be playing the div pairs anymore if these settings continue. Or any other tourney like this. I noticed one tourney (forget which one) with the settings.. normal .. soft...stimp 12 !! c'mon peeps get real never gonna happen.
duncanmathieson
Steam Profile name (Required): dunkymath
Has Liked: 62 times
Been Liked: 71 times

Re: Div Pairs game settings

Post by duncanmathieson »

Very well put Trevor. I gotta say that there have been some crazy settings on other tours as well. A prime example was normal/ normal stimp 8. which is an impossible condition on a golf course.
Maybe Perfect Golf is now becoming Crazy Unrealistic Golf.
Anyways I just had to get that off my chest guys.
MrSpringyThingy
Steam Profile name (Required): Mr SpringyThingy
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by MrSpringyThingy »

I do concur with what you guys are saying. There have been some rather silly conditions lately, coupled with some of the pin positions this has made scoring very difficult indeed.
Riddler
Steam Profile name (Required): Riddler
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 263 times

Post by Riddler »

This is my feelings on pins and conditions. I do four tours and the only one I feel needs to realistic, as possible, is PGLS Tour. I also think PGA 9 & 18 should also be realistic. But all the other tours are for fun. Stableford has had a tour for 359 weeks and PairUp9 283 weeks. Mixing up the conditions is only way to keep members interested in playing. Using different T's and mixing up conditions is part of that process. Do you always want hard fairways, normal greens and stimp 13 or would it not be a challenge if the stimp was 9 just for a change? I try to use different T's for Survivor and Pairup 9 just for a change. I also took all courses played for both Stableford and PGA 9, in the past and made sure for 2022 and now 2023 we don't play the same course twice. I do the same for the tours I do. Keeping members interested is our goal and I think , all the pin setters, do a great job doing just that
mwalimu
Steam Profile name (Required): mwalimu
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by mwalimu »

A couple of thoughts here. There's always Tough Stuff, the Tourney where the gloves are off, so to speak, when it comes to difficult combinations of firmness, stimp, pin positions, and so forth (in addition to making frequent use of higher wind speeds that are generally avoided in other tourneys). As for other tourneys, it could be argued that those that are used to calculate player statistics should generally stick to realistic conditions and longer tees.
mwalimu

Chuck Norris can get an albatross on a par 3.
Riddler

Post by Riddler »

Not all the tours determine a players statistics.
trevjor

Post by trevjor »

We seem to have a different view of "interesting" I have no problem with eg hard hard 13 but the pin positions have to be made playable, side hill lies with a stimp of 13 is just outright silly and unfair. You say you want more people to play and I also want this but I will not play any course with those settings. It just takes the fun away getting frustrated with the ball rolling all over the green. Not fun so I will not be playing any future tourneys with those settings.
Riddler

Post by Riddler »

I agree with what you are saying about proper pin placement for conditions. The few times I experience those issues I also get frustrated. I guess the answer is post a specific incident when it happens. Starting a post with "I am just so fed up with the way the in game settings are set", sounds like you are unhappy with more than just one tournament or round. Is that the case?
trevjor

Post by trevjor »

I don't get upset, at the end of the day it's just a video game and if I don't like it I don't play it. I have come across some other settings in games which is not to my fancy ie normal normal stimp 8 when I see things like this I just dont play the tourney I don't get upset it's just a game. Some like or are not bothered whatever the settings are...good luck to them have fun enjoy just not my cup of tea.
TheOtherRick
Steam Profile name (Required): TheOtherRick
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by TheOtherRick »

The four tournaments that determine Player Tier Levels really need to be realistic conditions, for obvious reasons. The "silly" conditions on other tourneys are not so important other than making them enjoyable to play. Trevor's point is well taken, Some of these conditions rely more on luck than skill, which detracts from enjoyability. All of this is strictly my opinion, and we know what opinions can be worth in here. :hmmm: :biggrin:
To Thine Own Self Be True

Ye Olde Computing Machine
CPU - Intel i5-8600K Six Core @ 3.60 GHz
MB - ASRock Z370 Pro 4
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
OS - Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Return to “The Divisions (PairUp)”