Hole 17 pin at Avenel Last Round

Post here anything to do with the PGA 18 tourney.
ergo76prop
Steam Profile name (Required): ergo76prop

Re: Hole 17 pin at Avenel Last Round

Post by ergo76prop »

Not sure how I could've played with more caution, my chip was from below the hole kept going up past the hole and then rolling back into the wall / water. I wasn't taking to much notice where it finished as I was playing the chip again no matter what if it did that.
jspirate

Steam Profile name (Required): jspirate
Has Liked: 53 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Post by jspirate »

It’s not a unity issue. There is too much slope around the hole for 13 stimp. Don’t even think about 14 stimp. The issue is that even if you are putting or chipping straight uphill to the flag, if you don’t put it in the cup, it will roll back at you and into the water. You will do that all day, until you manage to hit in the hole from the spot where you took your penalty.

Yes, a couple people will be fortunate to hit in the hole on the first try and thus escape multiple penalty shots.

Sorry, not trying to be combative, but lets makes sure that we are acknowledge what the issue is. Otherwise, it could show up and be repeated on other courses/tourneys.
i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:
Bradford Links
Ironwood
Cypress Landing & CL 3DG
Crow's Nest
187 CAGs and counting...
MiMiC

Post by MiMiC »

https://www.gcsaa.org/docs/default-sour ... f?sfvrsn=2

The Unity issue in question is that a rolling ball moves through a solid object.
Cestrian
Steam Profile name (Required): david

Post by Cestrian »

I'm with jspirate and ergo76prop on this one. I'm not really sure how that position fits with any description of "tough but fair". If you're above the hole, as I was, and fail to hole it, you're in the water (passing through a wall on the way !) and that leaves you the impossible chip ergo76prop mentions. I got lucky and holed my after 4 goes so "only" walked off with a 9 !
SimChars1968
Steam Profile name (Required): SimChars1968
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by SimChars1968 »

So bloody annoyed! -5 on the 17th tee(-10 under for tournament), ball lands on the wall, but doesn't bounce, it's as if it is water. Drop, putt up past hole to be safe, rolls all the way back in to the water, through the wall. So on and so on. How that pin position can be described as fair is beyond me. Play best part of 4 hours to post a total, only for it to be ruined by that. Can't be bothered!
Just Jolly
Steam Profile name (Required): Just Jolly
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Just Jolly »

I echo the remarks as above + wheres the sense in making a hole like that? bloody ridiculous
Just Jolly
Steam Profile name (Required): Just Jolly
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Just Jolly »

Jollybandido wrote:I echo the remarks as above + wheres the sense in making a hole like that? bloody ridiculous
I refused to carry on with the tourney, it makes the game a joke
Lawnbowlr
Steam Profile name (Required): Lawnbowlr
Been Liked: 1 time

The 17th at Avenal

Post by Lawnbowlr »

Who ever set up that hole is a ......, ........,........ . 4th round.
Mailman
Steam Profile name (Required): Mailman
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Mailman »

Seeing the whole field crumble apart from the lucky few I'd suggest to the admins of this tour that should something like this this happen again perhaps the fairest thing for all would be to scrub the entire round and make it a 54-hole event.

I know in the days of Links there was always the possibility that selecting a generic set of pins (e.g. 'Difficult') without checking the individual locations could and did throw up these terrible pins from time to time. Not sure if any of the tour admins would have the manpower/time to do this for every pin in every round in every tournament. And should the designer unwittingly put in some pins that are only playable at say stimp 10 then the situation can and does happen from time to time.
LinksPro
Steam Profile name (Required): LinksPro
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by LinksPro »

I kinda laughed all the way through the hole. One round I was -12 on 16 and took an 8 on 17. Really ruined that round. I had a putt that I hit one dot hard and it went 54 feet into the water. Not right.
If it goes left, its a hook. If it goes right, its a slice. If it goes straight, its a miracle!

Return to “PGA 18”