Playing very poorly

This forum contains information you will find useful in using PGLS. If you have any suggestions for content in here please let us know.
BGAST
Steam Profile name (Required): BGAST

Playing very poorly

Post by BGAST »

I don't know where to put this. I started a 9 hole tournament and played so poorly as to not ever compute. What happens if I just don't play the remaining rounds? I don't want to drop down to hacker from amatuer but I get so embarrassed with my bad scores that it just doesn't make sense to continue on. I'll just keep trying and maybe at some point I won't be in dead last place. This was my first try. :cool:
davefv92c
Steam Profile name (Required): davefv92c
Has Liked: 244 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Re: Playing very poorly

Post by davefv92c »

you can go into the participation button go and unmark the tourney you are talking about
and your scores so far will go away, but remember when you do this that you will not be able to go back and finish that tourney
and then you will have to re tick the button to play it when the next week rolls around.
that's the only way to do what you are trying to do.

if you just don't finish it i don't believe if counts against you as it is not a completed
tourney. but your scores will remain on the leaderboard.

also i do not think there is any time when you would be forced to go back to hacker
CUK MANTIS SERIES.
Liquid Cooled Intel i9,32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD
RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU
35"CURVED VIOTEK MONITOR 200Hz
Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive
Klipsch Sound System
BENCHMARKS-
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38611652
Mwh65
Site Admin
Steam Profile name (Required): Mwh65
Has Liked: 146 times
Been Liked: 404 times

Post by Mwh65 »

Seriously I wouldn't give up. Your score of 46 on PGA 9 Round 1 isn't that bad considering it's your first try ...

tourney_pga9_scorecard.php?id=64

and you did get a birdie. :drinks:

I would try Round 2, which will be the back 9 of the same course and try Round 3 after that, which will be the same 9 as Round 1, but with different course conditions.

You shouldn't worry about what anyone thinks of your scores either. Keep playing and you will improve.
Mark Holliday (Mwh65)
(PGLS Owner)

PGLS is not affiliated in any way with the game creator Perfect Parallel.
To donate to PGLS click here
Affo
Steam Profile name (Required): Affo
Has Liked: 61 times
Been Liked: 68 times

Post by Affo »

Definitely do not worry about your score, we all started somewhere.

Also, as dave mentioned, you will not be forced to go to Hacker, you may just be offered the chance if you wanted to.

As Mark mentioned too, if you got a birdie, you're on the right track, just need to get more consistent which will come with time.
The scores may be unrealistic, or even a joke but heyho, that's what we got.

Play well and enjoy your game everyone! :drinks:

btw, not a game for snowflakes.

https://www.twitch.tv/affo01

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQQ0c ... dgs0U6nODQ
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

BGAST wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 pm I don't know where to put this. I started a 9 hole tournament and played so poorly as to not ever compute. What happens if I just don't play the remaining rounds? I don't want to drop down to hacker from amatuer but I get so embarrassed with my bad scores that it just doesn't make sense to continue on. I'll just keep trying and maybe at some point I won't be in dead last place. This was my first try. :cool:
Hello Bob. You can get lots of pointers and help here at PGLS. Just never give up. Play solo with mulligans on and get a feel for a shot by hitting it over and over until you get close to your target...that's how I learned this game.

You'll get better. You have a passion for virtual golf, that's half the battle. You'll progress. We all do who are passionate about PC Golf. :good:
Golferdee
Steam Profile name (Required): steamydennis
Has Liked: 260 times
Been Liked: 129 times

Post by Golferdee »

I agree with all the comments above. I started just 6 months ago and like you was frustrated by some ordinary scores but it does take some time and a lot of practice but your scores will improve. Even then you will have your good days and bad days. I've had a fairly ordinary week this round but I love the game and just keep trying to improve my game. I am still in the Amateur class and probably will be for a long time yet, I'm certainly still learning. Enjoy every game and just challenge yourself.
Seasider47
Steam Profile name (Required): skeggy47
Has Liked: 61 times
Been Liked: 127 times

Post by Seasider47 »

Some months ago I was having a bad time and decided to voluntarily move to hacker from Amateur. I found it too easy but what it did do is give me confidence and 2 months later I was ready to move back up to Ammy, Think its the name Hacker that put me off, it really should be Beginner. There's no shame in moving down. Now I'm a lot better and preparing to go up to Pro in the not too distant future.
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

You can also think of the meter as a standard clock. I added 6, 9 and 12 to this illustration to show how I use those positions for aiming. Personally, I don't like dots on my meter so I use this No Dot meter, it's an option in your swing choices.

Most importantly is practicing with mulligans on. Secondly, learning the games interface is important too. Clicking the Gear on the upper right corner allows you to look at the stimp, course, settings, players and ping for any given round. We all started (just like you) but worked our way through all seemingly impossible obstacles (even game glitches) until we became better players. Look at your steam profile. If you do not have 500 hours accumulated yet you cannot be hard on yourself. It takes 500 to 750 hours of playing to become a (good) golfer. Keep plugging away and asking questions in the forum. Many people with good hearts will address your questions to help lift your spirits and learn the game.
:good:

RobV
Steam Profile name (Required): holy goat
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by RobV »

Seasider47 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:18 pm Some months ago I was having a bad time and decided to voluntarily move to hacker from Amateur. I found it too easy but what it did do is give me confidence and 2 months later I was ready to move back up to Ammy, Think its the name Hacker that put me off, it really should be Beginner. There's no shame in moving down. Now I'm a lot better and preparing to go up to Pro in the not too distant future.
I honestly think this is a good idea and contemplating moving down to Hacker myself.. Don't really care about the name Hacker, but man, I am lucky to break par. I am pretty sure I do not play as much as many of the players here. I just do not have the time to participate in every single event, practice or play with friends/family as none have this game. I should to get better, but even at Ammy, I am getting frustrated... I also have to stop looking at the leaderboards. I still cannot believe some of the scores being posted by players at Tour Pro. But how could I not when this is a tournament, right? Even at Ammy, one little mishit could be trouble. I can't imagine what it would be like at Pro or Tour Pro... nuts! In any event, those are my own hang ups and need to get over it.

Don't get the misconception that I am not having fun, I am. PG9 is the perfect tournament for me timeframe and tournament round wise. It's the reason why I started playing PG again. Overall, I can continue to grind it out at Ammy or perhaps build some confidence at Hacker... not sure yet.
davefv92c
Steam Profile name (Required): davefv92c
Has Liked: 244 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by davefv92c »

when i started playing the game, i did not care to be called a hacker either. i started at ammy and without the silly
custom settings i see so many using to be able to use the flag putting meter, speaking on that meter it is not the way to go it
will do nothing but make the putting more confusing. the key to this game for me has been the short game and the putting instead of the flag meter.
to learn use the meter with the dots and go to the Caddyshack to this thread and download the stimp map read the post good and print you out a copy to look at while playing this tool works great and after a short time you will be able to figure your putts without having to use it.
https://golfers.forumotion.com/t88-swin ... =stimp+amp

i only played ammy for a short time and went to pro for a few years and a couple of years back i went to tour pro with no looking back
as im not one of those fella's that believes in taking steps backwards, and i also believe that jumping back and forth from level to level is another thing
thats does nothing but make the game more confusing. this can be a very flustrating game as i took 4 months off while on chemo when i got sick i was playing real good and doing great for me on the leaderboards. after coming back i have just not been able to get my game anywhere close to being where i was playing so i have been flustrated as hell but im not giving up i just keep puttering along and have decided not to be so serious about it any longer as life is just to short to be pissed at a golf game. with now close to 10K hours of play im using it for nothing but a relaxing thing anymore, as i doubt i will ever get back to where i once was.

just keep at it you all will get better but it does take a lot of play.
CUK MANTIS SERIES.
Liquid Cooled Intel i9,32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD
RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU
35"CURVED VIOTEK MONITOR 200Hz
Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive
Klipsch Sound System
BENCHMARKS-
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38611652

Return to “General Discussion”