Player Handicaps

This forum contains information you will find useful in using PGLS. If you have any suggestions for content in here please let us know.
SimChars1968
Steam Profile name (Required): SimChars1968
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: Player Handicaps

Post by SimChars1968 »

Affo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:30 pm You played well in a difficult event (Classics) and had a good week overall compared to others, just sometimes the numbers can look exaggerated. Remember, the handicap is not reflective of your average scoring ability, but your current best from the last 24 rounds.
I am sorry but this is where your changes are wrong in my opinion. It worked better and more fairly previously. The whole point of a handicap competition is derived so players play off of a handicap that is reflective of their average scoring.

What annoys me more is that anything put forward by other members for change is put to a poll of all members, yet it seems you have free reign to do as you please, and in this case it effects a tournament you don't even partake in.

Really feel the way things are on here at the moment, member participation is going in a downward direction.
Affo
Steam Profile name (Required): Affo
Has Liked: 61 times
Been Liked: 68 times

Post by Affo »

You may have your opinion of course.

Handicap by definition - A golf handicap is a numerical measure of a golfer's potential

As for me having free reign...nothing is changed by myself regarding the site without Mark's knowledge AND approval, so you're way off base there.
The scores may be unrealistic, or even a joke but heyho, that's what we got.

Play well and enjoy your game everyone! :drinks:

btw, not a game for snowflakes.

https://www.twitch.tv/affo01

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQQ0c ... dgs0U6nODQ
SimChars1968
Steam Profile name (Required): SimChars1968
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by SimChars1968 »

Affo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:02 pm You may have your opinion of course.

Handicap by definition - A golf handicap is a numerical measure of a golfer's potential

As for me having free reign...nothing is changed by myself regarding the site without Mark's knowledge AND approval, so you're way off base there.
Obviously the changes are made with Mark's approval as he runs the site, but I don't think such things as this should be implemented without polling the other members.

As for your defintion of a golfer handicap, to qoute the USGA/USGTF "USGTF defines handicap as "a measure of his current ability over an entire round of golf, signified by a number. The lower the number, the better the golfer is." A handicap essentially signifies how many strokes above or below par a golfer should be able to play." If a player plays below this number, the handicap will change with reference to so many rounds not including the the highest and lowest so many scores. This is how it is done in every golf club.
charlie
Steam Profile name (Required): cer1949
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by charlie »

The USGA has recently adopted the World Handicap System which averages the 8 lowest scores from the most recent 20 rounds. To quote the USGA:

"Your new Handicap Index in 2020 is based on the modernized Rules of Handicapping and more responsive to good scores by averaging your eight best scores out of your most recent 20 (currently, it’s 10 out of 20 with a .96 multiplier). In most cases for golfers in the U.S., it will change less than one stroke. So, if you notice that your Handicap Index is different in January despite not having played, this is why!"

I think Affo has described it correctly. The USGA has used an average of the best scores for quite some time, not an average of all scores. Then again, I don't really care as long as we all play by the same rules.
Biffa

Post by Biffa »

charlie wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 pm The USGA has recently adopted the World Handicap System which averages the 8 lowest scores from the most recent 20 rounds.
It has also been adopted in UK and will be used in the coming season. Time will tell if its an improvement.
Affo

Post by Affo »

So our current system of averaging best 12 from last 24 is not far off the mark, if anything, it is fairer. If we were to use the best 8 instead of 12, your handicaps will all be even lower, can you imagine.....

WTFRU115
Steam Profile name (Required): WTFRU115
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by WTFRU115 »

Activate the handicaps in PGA 9, 18, and any others that relate to "real life" golf tournament play. When you play this game to your "ability" and not with the use of some control device that makes one look like a hero, you then wouldn't see these ridiculous four round final score of say -60 for example. No need to embarrass anyone by calling out by name, but "YOU" know who you are. Here's an example of an all-time best: (Steve Stricker in 2009 Bob Hope Classic shot -33 over a 72 hole course). Well it seems as though the PGLS has about 10 players that are way better than Mr. Stricker. Let's see ya do that with a set of clubs instead of a game controller or mouse. LMAO....

I was told that handicaps were activated a long while back and "some" players (wonder who that could've been) complained about it threatening to quit playing and eventually losing interest altogether. Well then get a hold of reality, and not have such high expectations on a game that in real life game play conditions are unrealistic.

Well the future of the PGLS is at risk (don't agree? look at the participation in tourney's now) of going away forever if you do nothing and remain status quo for the handful of elite, or make it fair and enjoyable for all members.

It's up to you Admins.
Ragnar
Steam Profile name (Required): HanBuaal
Has Liked: 44 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Ragnar »

To play such results it's easy. You can buy at Amazon some "helpfull" Tools (also used in Shooter Games). A Friend show me that on Amazon. But i think it makes no sense here to hope something will change ever. Best way is to ignore this Pros!
i'm no certified 3 Clicker but a real Sportmen :laugh: :joy:
Affo

Post by Affo »

WTFRU115 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:05 pm Activate the handicaps in PGA 9, 18, and any others that relate to "real life" golf tournament play. When you play this game to your "ability" and not with the use of some control device that makes one look like a hero, you then wouldn't see these ridiculous four round final score of say -60 for example. No need to embarrass anyone by calling out by name, but "YOU" know who you are. Here's an example of an all-time best: (Steve Stricker in 2009 Bob Hope Classic shot -33 over a 72 hole course). Well it seems as though the PGLS has about 10 players that are way better than Mr. Stricker. Let's see ya do that with a set of clubs instead of a game controller or mouse. LMAO....

I was told that handicaps were activated a long while back and "some" players (wonder who that could've been) complained about it threatening to quit playing and eventually losing interest altogether. Well then get a hold of reality, and not have such high expectations on a game that in real life game play conditions are unrealistic.

Well the future of the PGLS is at risk (don't agree? look at the participation in tourney's now) of going away forever if you do nothing and remain status quo for the handful of elite, or make it fair and enjoyable for all members.

It's up to you Admins.
What are you going on about? It's a game, people get really good over time. Seen it happen on all the golf games not just this one. No need to use any control device or anything.

There is a handicap event. Sure Mark could probably introduce net and gross leaderboards for PGA9, PGA18 etc, but then what would be the point of the Classic apart from it being over 2 weeks.

WTFRU115
Steam Profile name (Required): WTFRU115
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by WTFRU115 »

It's like talking to a fkn wall when it comes to you Alpo... You're right it's just a game.

Return to “General Discussion”