Ansel display during game launch. Windows 10

Post here anything to do with technical issues with computers in general. Don't expect a response but I'm sure people would be happy to try.
Crusher

Re: Ansel display during game launch. Windows 10

Post by Crusher »

Solution. After leaving the Ansel question alone for a couple days I decided to return to investigating "why I did not have the NVIDIA CORPORATION FOLDER in my Program Files folder. That folder also "normally" contains the Ansel folder. Inside Ansel is the Camera Tool to disable the Ansel display on the left side of Perfect Golf during game launch.

I also found that the disappearance of the Ansel folder was not just on my system, that three others I have contacted via email also checked their folders and were missing the NVIDIA Corporation Folder which also meant they were missing the Ansel folder.

I decided to use my (go to) uninstaller again "Revo Pro" and remove all traces of nVidia files and folders and clean the nVidia Registry entries. However before doing so I disabled my Internet connection (network and Internet settings) so that Windows Updates could not download another graphics driver while I continued my experiment.

Before doing all this I downloaded a driver that I knew contained the nVidia Control Panel*. The driver is 425.31 which also contains 3D drivers. I always do a custom install and uncheck 3D, GeFore Experience and HD Audio. I then install the Graphics Driver and PhysX.

*There is now an NVIDIA Control Panel that downloads from Microsoft Store - it's very low rated due to it's lack luster performance. Try and avoid that app. However, if you have lost the Ansel folder your newest driver update (manually downloaded) will prompt you to install the store app. Otherwise you will constantly be reminded on start-up (there is no NVIDIA control panel). THIS was a major reason why I wanted the typical Ansel Camera Tool and the included NVIDIA Control Panel installed all at once - just like we all have been doing for a couple of years.

By using the older driver everything reappeared as normal in the Program Files. After successfully installing the older driver I allowed Windows Updates to download the driver they had on their server. That went well too.

As tedious as all this sounds it's always a hugely gratifying experience to solve problems in Windows and third party software/firmware.

Below are Snips of my current nVidia Installation.

Ansel folder

Ansel Camera Tool

Crusher

Recent WU

Post by Crusher »

:good:

Update. Though we all can stop Windows Updates from downloading drivers, I rely on WU to update all component drivers. In the most recent update WU updated my nVidia driver to 442.59. WU required a restart and in doing so I got prompted to install the MS Store nVidia Control Panel.

For your edification: How to stop Windows Updates from installing drivers.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disa ... windows-10

I have decided that it's not worth the hassle to go back and follow my own instructions just to get the single Ansel Folder. I have spread the word to my clients that are gamers to not be concerned with this extra step. Like all "new tech" this stuff will get better or get thrown out. Either way WU driver updates are simply smart to keep enabled and this Video Driver works just fine.

I usually beat WU to the punch for Graphics Driver updates by visiting: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
Niblick47
Steam Profile name (Required): Niblick47
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by Niblick47 »

When I type in gpedit.msc the run command can't find it. Is there another way to get to the appropriate folder w/o going into the registry, I really hate to do that for fear of screwing something up.
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

Niblick47 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 pm When I type in gpedit.msc the run command can't find it. Is there another way to get to the appropriate folder w/o going into the registry, I really hate to do that for fear of screwing something up.
Hi Niblick,

Yes. The path to the folder is: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation
Niblick47

Post by Niblick47 »

Thanks for the reply. I can get to the Nvidia folder but how to I disable updating drivers when I get there?
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

Niblick47 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:12 pm Thanks for the reply. I can get to the Nvidia folder but how to I disable updating drivers when I get there?
Search: "disable driver updates windows 10"
Niblick47

Post by Niblick47 »

Thanks again, got it done.

Return to “Technical Support”