Thermal Paste for CPU

Post here anything to do with technical issues with computers in general. Don't expect a response but I'm sure people would be happy to try.
Crusher

Thermal Paste for CPU

Post by Crusher »

Just a tip on how often a gamer should clean the heat spreader on the Processor and add new Thermal Paste. Removing the Air Cooler or Water Cooler from the CPU is usually not difficult, especially if the computer is unplugged and lifted up and put on a table about three feet off the ground. I replace my thermal paste once a year, others suggest every six months.

Any brand name Thermal Paste works just fine. I use Arctic MX-4. Good price and lasts a long time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045 ... UTF8&psc=1

Note: To make sure all your cables go back in their original ports on the back of your computer, use your smart phone or a digital camera to take a picture of the backside of your case. Keep the picture in the camera or phone so you can always have it on hand for a dependable reference.
jspirate

Steam Profile name (Required): jspirate
Has Liked: 53 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Re: Thermal Paste for CPU

Post by jspirate »

I have a computer that my son uses that I built over 9 years ago. Thing is running like a top, but maybe its time for some fresh paste!

The processor is just a beast:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-ex ... 6819115223

Then again, it might be better not to take it apart - haha
i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:
Bradford Links
Ironwood
Cypress Landing & CL 3DG
Crow's Nest
187 CAGs and counting...
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

jspirate wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:44 pm I have a computer that my son uses that I built over 9 years ago. Thing is running like a top, but maybe its time for some fresh paste!

The processor is just a beast:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-ex ... 6819115223

Then again, it might be better not to take it apart - haha
That is the case for most non-intensive use of Processors. That was a good processor in it's day but it's a not capable of handling (as you know) today's demanding games, even with a modern GPU. Besides, most likely there is no program installed to keep an eye on temperatures in the System Tray. However, it's never to late to download the free version of Speccy to see how the temps are doing on any machine. I would think that this old machine's motherboard has temp sensors on the motherboard for the major components.

You would be wise NOT to remove the stock cooler to clean off the old thermal paste. You know the old saying, "better to NOT fix something if it's not broken". :biggrin:
jspirate

Steam Profile name (Required): jspirate
Has Liked: 53 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Post by jspirate »

I should confess... I am amazed at how that box has withstood the test of computer-time. For a 9 year old CPU, it does better than some 3 year old CPUs. I just wish all my CPU's aged as well. Also, for my son I have upgraded to an OS SSD and a decent graphics card...

Anyway, I am being selfish and really stealing the whole point of your message. Which I wholeheartedly agree with. Running cool is one of the top priorities and old paste is not your friend...
i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:
Bradford Links
Ironwood
Cypress Landing & CL 3DG
Crow's Nest
187 CAGs and counting...
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

By all means! I welcome these types of discussions in a forum. I would like to see more people chime in here at PGLS about tech questions or shared information. There will be much more to come from me about tech-tips...

:drinks:

Return to “Technical Support”