Player Tier Movements Rules

Please post here with regard to the Player Tier Movements released every month.
Mwh65
Site Admin
Steam Profile name (Required): Mwh65
Has Liked: 146 times
Been Liked: 404 times

Player Tier Movements Rules

Post by Mwh65 »

Rules on how the monthly player tier movements work can be found on the following page ...

rules.php?ruleset=30
Mark Holliday (Mwh65)
(PGLS Owner)

PGLS is not affiliated in any way with the game creator Perfect Parallel.
To donate to PGLS click here
Biffa

Re: Player Tier Movements Rules

Post by Biffa »

How is this rule enforced by one event or do you take an average over all qualifying events as long as 12 rounds are reached?

The other way you may be moved up a Tier is if your average score for the month is better than 80% of the Tier above's average. If either of the parameters are met, you will be moved upwards.
Affo
Steam Profile name (Required): Affo
Has Liked: 61 times
Been Liked: 68 times

Post by Affo »

The scores from the weekly PGA9, PGA 18, PGLS Tours and the monthly PGLS Open are taken over a month (all events which start in a Calendar month). Players will need to play 12 rounds per month in these tournies to be considered for a change of tier in either direction.

Think it's covered here, 2nd paragraph
The scores may be unrealistic, or even a joke but heyho, that's what we got.

Play well and enjoy your game everyone! :drinks:

btw, not a game for snowflakes.

https://www.twitch.tv/affo01

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQQ0c ... dgs0U6nODQ
Biffa

Post by Biffa »

Affo wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:37 pm The scores from the weekly PGA9, PGA 18, PGLS Tours and the monthly PGLS Open are taken over a month (all events which start in a Calendar month). Players will need to play 12 rounds per month in these tournies to be considered for a change of tier in either direction.

Think it's covered here, 2nd paragraph
So like I previously asked a player can decide to play in 2 events (or one twice a month ) win them and do this month after month without going up a tier even though he is beating 80% of the tier above because he is only playing 8 qualifying rounds in that month? And PLAYER 2 works a lot in the month cannot get the time to play 12 rounds because of work commitments cannot move either way? Is this correct.
Affo

Post by Affo »

That is correct Les.

12 rounds could be 12 x 9 hole rounds, those scores are doubled for the monthly analysis so about 3-4 hours of time per month is needed to reach the 12 rounds (more if played online with others of course).

Also, said busy person could ask to be moved up a Tier whenever they liked if they needed more of a challenge.

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

Affo wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:00 pm That is correct Les.
Well in my opinion that is a worse case scenario than the recent rule that was changed, thats going to encourage even more sandbagging.
Affo wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:00 pm 12 rounds could be 12 x 9 hole rounds, those scores are doubled for the monthly analysis so about 3-4 hours of time per month is needed to reach the 12 rounds (more if played online with others of course).
We dont all play at your pace Andy.
Affo wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:00 pm Also, said busy person could ask to be moved up a Tier whenever they liked if they needed more of a challenge.
Again this malarky about a player asking to be moved up a tier before he is ready is unfair to players who are playing at their correct level. Example 10 players request to move to Tour pro but are not ready for that level but want a challenge, they score horrendous scores doesn't really effect them, however the stats for the pro level players below them will be out of whack and a pro player might be promoted because they beat 80% of the tier above because these 10 players were allowed to move up by request, had they not been allowed to move up the true stats of pro level would have occurred.This is also the case for new members coming straight in as pros, that knocks the pros stats out again as generally new players are either hacks or amateurs granted not all but most, the knock on effect is in tier below where Amateurs are promoted because they beat 80% of tier above. ( AND BY THE WAY LETTING PLAYERS MOVE UP A TIER BY REQUEST IS THE SAME AS ALLOWING THEM TO PLAY AT THEIR CHOSEN LEVEL, BIT LIKE WHATS BEEN DEBATED FOR THE PAST FEW MONTHS AND WAS POLLED NOT TO BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN)
charlie
Steam Profile name (Required): cer1949
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by charlie »

As for the rule change, I happen to like it.

For those who wanted the PGLS Tours to permit players to have the ability to select their own playing level, this seems like a very welcome and reasonable change. Those players can limit their play to 8 rounds monthly in the tournaments that are counted for purposes of tier movements and not worry about their play causing them to move to a level that they don't enjoy playing. Absent this change, the alternative for those players who don't want to move to an undesirable playing level would be to play only the events that are not counted for purposes of tier movements, which, for many, would decrease their participation.

This is the effect the earlier system had on my play. I just cut back on my play. Not everyone wants to remain at a particular playing level so they can win more tournaments. Some of us just want to enjoy playing the game. Forced tier movements to a higher level can take away that enjoyment. So I think the administrators have done an admirable job of handling this particular issue.

If a player wants to ensure that he remains at a particular playing level, that player must be willing to limit his play to 2 tournaments a month out of the 4 weekly PGA 9 tournaments, 4 weekly PGA 18 tournaments, 4 PGLS Tour events, and the 1 PGLS Open event. So this means the player must limit his play to 2 of these 13 events each month to ensure that his play won't affect his playing level.

This also leaves room for unlimited play in The Divisions, Heavy Hitters, Caddyshack, PGLS Classic, Stableford 9 and the other events not counted for tier movement purposes.

I think I have described this correctly. But I'm sure someone will correct me if I have misinterpreted how this works.
Affo

Post by Affo »

Well in my opinion that is a worse case scenario than the recent rule that was changed, thats going to encourage even more sandbagging.
Don't agree with you there, having to play more rounds to ensure moving down a level may well discourage it. We can agree to disagree.
We dont all play at your pace Andy.
I know, that's why I allowed 20mins per round, not the 12 I take.
Again this malarky about a player asking to be moved up a tier before he is ready is unfair to players who are playing at their correct level. Example 10 players request to move to Tour pro but are not ready for that level but want a challenge, they score horrendous scores doesn't really effect them, however the stats for the pro level players below them will be out of whack and a pro player might be promoted because they beat 80% of the tier above because these 10 players were allowed to move up by request, had they not been allowed to move up the true stats of pro level would have occurred.This is also the case for new members coming straight in as pros, that knocks the pros stats out again as generally new players are either hacks or amateurs granted not all but most, the knock on effect is in tier below where Amateurs are promoted because they beat 80% of tier above. ( AND BY THE WAY LETTING PLAYERS MOVE UP A TIER BY REQUEST IS THE SAME AS ALLOWING THEM TO PLAY AT THEIR CHOSEN LEVEL, BIT LIKE WHATS BEEN DEBATED FOR THE PAST FEW MONTHS AND WAS POLLED NOT TO BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN)
We get about 1-2 requests to move up a level per month. If a player wants to play higher irrespective of their scoring, why not? If you read the rules, the top and bottom extremes are ignored and the more players at a level, the more scores ignored. Take a look at December, only 1 Amateur went up and no Pros (which going by your example above, with lots of Pros scoring high scores because they have gone up a level too soon, would surely have meant a few would have been promoted as their scores would have been artificially low compared to the rest of the Tier?).

Letting players move up a Tier is not the same as allowing all to play at their chosen level...which for the umpteenth time, was voted quite categorically against.

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

charlie wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:03 pm Those players can limit their play to 8 rounds monthly in the tournaments that are counted for purposes of tier movements and not worry about their play causing them to move to a level that they don't enjoy playing.
Yep encourage more sandbagging.
charlie wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:03 pm Some of us just want to enjoy playing the game. Forced tier movements to a higher level can take away that enjoyment.
Thats why we tried to set up the new Tours to play whatever level you enjoyed and not be forced to play a level you dont. Knocked back by admin BEFORE THE POLL.
charlie wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:03 pm So this means the player must limit his play to 2 of these 13 events each month to ensure that his play won't affect his playing level.
Correct more scope for sandbagging as previously had only 3 rounds to do that now has 11.
charlie wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:03 pm So I think the administrators have done an admirable job of handling this particular issue.
Had it have been carried out properly giving members notice it was happening and not back dating it, I might have agreed with you but I still think there is more potential now for sandbagging.
terbal
Steam Profile name (Required): terbal

Post by terbal »

even though i have done this myself i do not believe a player should be allowed to request move up a level if his/her's average dosent fall into that level. if a player cannot move down a level because of his score average the same should apply to a player requesting to move up a level. because this has been allowed in the past it has distorted things. moving up a level when you cant play at the higher level is really an ego trip which i am guilty of in the past. Your score average is your score average and this sets your level full stop.

Return to “Player Tier Movements”