a point about points

Post in here anything to do with the PGLS Tours tourney.
RandyG
Steam Profile name (Required): RandyG
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: a point about points

Post by RandyG »

When I first come over to JNPG with Bob I believe all the points you earned were the Honors and it meant something. Somehow we have gotten to technical.'Trying to assume a players ability by dropping top or low rounds and then try to figure in if it was a easy or hard round isn't making things easier.
Sorry, but the desire to make it more of a level playing field isn't working. Someone has to budge here.
For a level playing field; it isn't going to happen, some have it some don't.

We need to follow the actual method real golf uses to figure out the handicaps. We may have to adjust being this is a game.
Take the course and slope ratings and set the slope at 133 and course rating at Par for every course and do the math, you will be surprised.
No trying to guess hard or easy rounds.
You can either do the last 10, 15 or 20 rounds.
There are programs out there to do just this, it does the figuring for you.

As for tier movements we need to use a different method as well; if you shoot 63 or lower day in and day out you are a TP. The 63 is just a number I came up with, not set in stone but you see what I'm saying.

Set a money list for each tournament and the TP wins the same as a Amateur or Pro. This way everyone is in the same boat, no TP is going to run away with everything.
Your still going to have the same people winning and it will give the players something to shoot for at their level besides second or third place,"Cash".

Or you could adjust the the winnings so there isn't a big jump from first to second and on down to last.

Okay, ready for the beat down :-)

randy
Duval 59
Steam Profile name (Required): Duval 59

Post by Duval 59 »

davefv92c wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:51 am the way some act in forums and their online lives. just ask google,lol always wanted to say that

https://www.google.com/search?q=stuffed ... e&ie=UTF-8
Must be British lingo???? :hehe:
"Grip It & Rip It"
terbal
Steam Profile name (Required): terbal

Post by terbal »

Seasider47 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:20 pm Some people need to get a life lol...getting boring now... just play the game or go and do something else that will make you happy...lifes too short to worry lol
if you have nothing constructive to say (as usual)then dont read it or dont say anything at all, or just shut up.
terbal

Post by terbal »

Perculator wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 pm
terbal wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:34 pm
Affo wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:12 am So what you would like is a bit like putting Championship and Division 1 (pros and amateurs) teams into the Premier league (TPs), giving them a goal or 2 headstart (the various assists and less snap penalties) each game but wanting the same tv/prize money for finishing position.

Or for our friends across the water, inviting Minor League Baseball teams (pros and amateurs) to play in the Major Leagues but give them a few runs headstart (the various assists and less snap penalties) each game but demand the same tv/prize money etc?

Is that the gist of what you are asking for, level playing field? :blink:

You are correct in saying you could predict the end of season table, most probably could get close, depends who improves or wants to improve or whether they are purely playing for fun which takes the whole points thing away.
thats rubbish. if i won a prize of a invite to play in a real pro event i would get the same points as the real pro if i finished level with him. TP's have an avantage already as they are better players or they wouldnt be TP'S. what are TP'S scared of . pro's are fighting for 20th place on the final leaderboard and ammys 40th. what is the point? and dont metion honours board becasue that means nothing and no one looks at it. just give the not so good players a chance.
No idea what you are on about. For example, the last PGA 18 I finished 32nd overall and got a big fat 9,375 points. The next finishers at 33rd (two pros and an ammy) the ammy got 25,500 points and the pros got 10,000 each. I have frankly never understood the points here and as the high TP most weeks I get nothing from it, would not even look if you would stop picking the scab.
talking about the tour perc not pga18
Duval 59
Steam Profile name (Required): Duval 59

Post by Duval 59 »

RandyG wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:01 pm When I first come over to JNPG with Bob I believe all the points you earned were the Honors and it meant something. Somehow we have gotten to technical.'Trying to assume a players ability by dropping top or low rounds and then try to figure in if it was a easy or hard round isn't making things easier.
Sorry, but the desire to make it more of a level playing field isn't working. Someone has to budge here.
For a level playing field; it isn't going to happen, some have it some don't.

We need to follow the actual method real golf uses to figure out the handicaps. We may have to adjust being this is a game.
Take the course and slope ratings and set the slope at 133 and course rating at Par for every course and do the math, you will be surprised.
No trying to guess hard or easy rounds.
You can either do the last 10, 15 or 20 rounds.
There are programs out there to do just this, it does the figuring for you.

As for tier movements we need to use a different method as well; if you shoot 63 or lower day in and day out you are a TP. The 63 is just a number I came up with, not set in stone but you see what I'm saying.

Set a money list for each tournament and the TP wins the same as a Amateur or Pro. This way everyone is in the same boat, no TP is going to run away with everything.
Your still going to have the same people winning and it will give the players something to shoot for at their level besides second or third place,"Cash".

Or you could adjust the the winnings so there isn't a big jump from first to second and on down to last.

Okay, ready for the beat down :-)

randy
You are absolutely right here Randy. This is what I've been saying. It's like in politics, when the powers that be make amendments to laws or pass new legislation it inevitably is good for one and bad for another. Thus, there creates more bad when trying to create more good. There become loopholes with every technical solvent added to our already busy lives. This can be applied to games as well. Frankly, simplicity creates happiness in life and room to breathe. Studies have shown this.

I ran handicap systems for points in many leagues I ran back here in the states, it's easy with software. Handicap is the only true level playing field. You can get better in any level you wish to play in, this including ALL hinderances to perfection the game brings one. At the same time, a hot week can mean good position, a sorry week the opposite. This is getting too technical, everything needs to be considered in a technical system or it just does not work ".".
I totally disagree with the comment you made about the same players winning in this system you suggested though. A true handicap would level the field, the same players wining would just have a lower handicap to deal with. Whomever is the hottest a particular week will win; There is no handicap to levels, there is no handicap to swing methods, there is no handicap to devices used, there is no handicap to physical ability, there is only a handicap on score which seemingly is the ONLY thing golf scores in the end!
"Grip It & Rip It"
Affo
Steam Profile name (Required): Affo
Has Liked: 61 times
Been Liked: 68 times

Post by Affo »

And this wonderful handicap system would be (being as we already use the best x from last y rounds already, much to the disgust of some as usual)?
The scores may be unrealistic, or even a joke but heyho, that's what we got.

Play well and enjoy your game everyone! :drinks:

btw, not a game for snowflakes.

https://www.twitch.tv/affo01

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQQ0c ... dgs0U6nODQ
Perculator
Steam Profile name (Required): Perculator
Has Liked: 65 times
Been Liked: 42 times

Post by Perculator »

I think the problem that this entire site has had from the very beginning is the desire to have everyone on the same leaderboard. This is really admirable from a social standpoint, but I think it has caused more problems than it is worth. When Mark allowed us to filter the leaderboard to our own level, it solved some issues I had, I don't have to look at the Pro and Ammy boards, but some tourneys, like the Open, insist on lumping everyone together. And this recent issue with the points (when I see an ammy finish below me and get almost three times the points, what the hell is that?)

One hack's opinion,

Perc
terbal

Post by terbal »

IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO IF GET YOUR FUN FROM COMPETING OR JUST MAKING UP THE NUMBERS? LIKE MOST I AM JUST MAKING UP THE NUMBERS AT THE MOMENT. ID PREFER TO BE COMPETING. SO WHEN PEOPLE SAY JUST HAVE FUN ITS HARD TO DO THAT. SO MAYBE CERTAIN PEOPLE (ALWAYS HIS ANSWER TO ANY IDEA) ARE RIGHT I SHOULD SOD OFF SOMEWHERE ELSE.
terbal

Post by terbal »

Perculator wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:33 pm I think the problem that this entire site has had from the very beginning is the desire to have everyone on the same leaderboard. This is really admirable from a social standpoint, but I think it has caused more problems than it is worth. When Mark allowed us to filter the leaderboard to our own level, it solved some issues I had, I don't have to look at the Pro and Ammy boards, but some tourneys, like the Open, insist on lumping everyone together. And this recent issue with the points (when I see an ammy finish below me and get almost three times the points, what the hell is that?)

One hack's opinion,

Perc
thats not the tour system perc the tour is exactly the opposite to that.
RandyG
Steam Profile name (Required): RandyG
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by RandyG »

Affo wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:35 pm And this wonderful handicap system would be
Andy, I didn't say it was a wonderful handicap system, you said that in part for me criticizing the current system :hmmm:

I've used the Course and Slope rating for calculating handicaps. Just an FYI, the program I used was for tracking real life golf scores and handicapping.

I contacted the two fellas that developed the program and ask specifically how I would use C/S rating for a golf sim.
I received a reply a few days later and they came up with setting all courses to 133/Par and it worked very well. Again nothing is perfect but it takes the guess work out of the calculation.

Nothing to get emotional about just an honest opinion.

randy

Return to “PGLS Tours”