a point about points

Post in here anything to do with the PGLS Tours tourney.
terbal
Steam Profile name (Required): terbal

Re: a point about points

Post by terbal »

Seasider47 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:20 pm Some people need to get a life lol...getting boring now... just play the game or go and do something else that will make you happy...lifes too short to worry lol
your answer to any topic you dont like is to tell people to go somewhere else. well you must be a happy bunny because your advise seems to be working.
Affo
Steam Profile name (Required): Affo
Has Liked: 61 times
Been Liked: 68 times

Post by Affo »

RandyG wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:45 pm
Affo wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:35 pm And this wonderful handicap system would be
Andy, I didn't say it was a wonderful handicap system, you said that in part for me criticizing the current system :hmmm:
Sorry Randy, wasn't meant to read like that, but get why it did...more a case of is there a wonderful handicap system...looking for the holy grail, lol.

With gaming courses, tricky to find something that works well, I think our current best x from y works as it should, just some folks can't grasp that it is fair. With the low scoring in pc games, tough to get one to work perfectly. I think the current one actually is more biased to the better players if you think about it?
The scores may be unrealistic, or even a joke but heyho, that's what we got.

Play well and enjoy your game everyone! :drinks:

btw, not a game for snowflakes.

https://www.twitch.tv/affo01

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQQ0c ... dgs0U6nODQ
Affo

Post by Affo »

terbal wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:38 pm
Perculator wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:33 pm I think the problem that this entire site has had from the very beginning is the desire to have everyone on the same leaderboard. This is really admirable from a social standpoint, but I think it has caused more problems than it is worth. When Mark allowed us to filter the leaderboard to our own level, it solved some issues I had, I don't have to look at the Pro and Ammy boards, but some tourneys, like the Open, insist on lumping everyone together. And this recent issue with the points (when I see an ammy finish below me and get almost three times the points, what the hell is that?)

One hack's opinion,

Perc
thats not the tour system perc the tour is exactly the opposite to that.
In my opinion, the tour system is the correct one...the one in use for the other events isn't. A TP on the hardest level should not get less points for finishing above lower Tiered players, but they do currently (the swing type used within that level is another argument altogether, but noted).

Like I said, my opinion, others can have theirs but that is how the Tours are running this time out.

Stevemaccal
Steam Profile name (Required): Steve McAllister

Post by Stevemaccal »

Not wanting to come across as being critical as I think all sides of the argument want whats best here. My suggestion is we need to separate the different levels into their own tour level. TP = USPGA, P= European Tour, A = nationwide tour and hacker = Q-school. It would mean players would be more competitive at their own level. The top players at each level could then be invited to the next level at the end of the season, while the bottom players could go the other way. All players could be invited to the majors to make those events feel more special. I've no idea if any of the aboe is even possible tbh, and is only a suggestion.
terbal
Steam Profile name (Required): terbal

Post by terbal »

im glad you agree andy that others can have their opinion please pass that message on to other members of your mod team . thx
Affo

Post by Affo »

Stevemaccal wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:56 pm Not wanting to come across as being critical as I think all sides of the argument want whats best here. My suggestion is we need to separate the different levels into their own tour level. TP = USPGA, P= European Tour, A = nationwide tour and hacker = Q-school. It would mean players would be more competitive at their own level. The top players at each level could then be invited to the next level at the end of the season, while the bottom players could go the other way. All players could be invited to the majors to make those events feel more special. I've no idea if any of the aboe is even possible tbh, and is only a suggestion.
Steve...I like it, but I know nothing major is going to change in the immediate future, I suggested a similar idea in another thread....great minds and all that, lol.

We'll have to wait and see, but I think it is the way forward...just an opinion of course :wink: I just come up with stupid ideas and Mark has to put them through a sieve to try and find one worth coding up :biggrin:

Duval 59
Steam Profile name (Required): Duval 59

Post by Duval 59 »

Affo wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:03 pm
RandyG wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:45 pm
Affo wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:35 pm And this wonderful handicap system would be
Andy, I didn't say it was a wonderful handicap system, you said that in part for me criticizing the current system :hmmm:
Sorry Randy, wasn't meant to read like that, but get why it did...more a case of is there a wonderful handicap system...looking for the holy grail, lol.

With gaming courses, tricky to find something that works well, I think our current best x from y works as it should, just some folks can't grasp that it is fair. With the low scoring in pc games, tough to get one to work perfectly. I think the current one actually is more biased to the better players if you think about it?
I get it, its fair for those who play 3 click, or at least close to fair. There are so many variables to take into consideration when playing JNPG, as I've clearly stated before but it seems to be ignored as all we talk about are levels as a handicap for getting competition; For instance, again, (swing type, level changes, devices being used for play[controller, mouse computer, laptop, etc...], big screens/small laptop screens, internet connection, physical disabilities, etc...) and you could go on and on. The only way to even the field and create true competition from week to week is simply the handicap system expressed by our brother who explained it above ".". With so much variance and ability to play differently, handicaps should only be based on scoring. People could play whatever level they choose as long as their handicap is adjusted for that level, giving everyone the ability to either be challenged or play comfortably. There really aren't any negatives to the system, everything is covered when grasping the expanse of differing play for everyone. Scoring makes the doe, scoring is for show, scoring is better than you hoe! :drinks: I get the levels and what was trying to be done with it, but there are too many variables to make it work like it was intended, the biggest of which is motion swing in my opinion.:good: If you don't take as many of these variables into consideration as possible it only makes the system work worse. I don not think the majority of the ability to play at the highest level is from levels. I think other variables inevitably play a bigger factor in determining how high one can go to be competitive. Like I've said before, I can play at a high level with three click and be competitive. Is that how I want to play this game (a game which gives us the option to play wonderfully different ways), no! Just trying to think about everyone here, not just those who want to get their rocks off at playing tour pro and whipping everyone with 3 click. If they wanted to be pushed to their limit they would be playing motion swing, their verbiage is crap in my opinion. They say they are pushing people to play to harder levels, but at the same time they are playing as easy as they can with 3 click at the highest level with no motivation to challenge themselves with motion swing.
"Grip It & Rip It"
Duval 59

Post by Duval 59 »

Stevemaccal wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:56 pm Not wanting to come across as being critical as I think all sides of the argument want whats best here. My suggestion is we need to separate the different levels into their own tour level. TP = USPGA, P= European Tour, A = nationwide tour and hacker = Q-school. It would mean players would be more competitive at their own level. The top players at each level could then be invited to the next level at the end of the season, while the bottom players could go the other way. All players could be invited to the majors to make those events feel more special. I've no idea if any of the aboe is even possible tbh, and is only a suggestion.
Good idea Steve, but this system does not take into consideration all the different variable people choose to play by. If it were strictly based on handicap and whomever scores highest in points at the end of the year it would work perfectly. You would have to keep getting better throughout the season in order to progress to the next level. Your handicap would already be established to begin, but if you don't strive to get better you would not move on.
"Grip It & Rip It"
Duval 59

Post by Duval 59 »

Well said Terbal, thanks for listening and interacting Andy! I really think Randy and Steve are on to something here. Combine both a simple handicap with moving through the ranks (not levels) would inevitably challenge all players to get better at whatever level they choose to play. If they think the don't like their handicap being so low, giving more strokes away than they would like, they can try either another variable for play or go on to another level. Simple. Because, at the end of the day all it comes down to is the final score and the 19th hole! Hey now!!!!! :drinks:
"Grip It & Rip It"
davefv92c
Steam Profile name (Required): davefv92c
Has Liked: 244 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by davefv92c »

some have taken this thread to a place where it is really not even worth getting in here and reading any longer.
now a bunch of posts back perc asked me about what a stuffed shirt has to do with an online golf game. ok I shall give a good example now
that would be a person who would get on here and puff out their chest and say you are not as good as I am because I play motion swing and you only play that lowly 3 click not too hard to understand now is it??
you all have a great day now going back and forth with this same subject that has been hashed out a ton of times before
and i think i will go fire up the game and play my lowly 3 click and be just as happy as can be.
CUK MANTIS SERIES.
Liquid Cooled Intel i9,32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD
RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU
35"CURVED VIOTEK MONITOR 200Hz
Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive
Klipsch Sound System
BENCHMARKS-
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38611652

Return to “PGLS Tours”